Saturday, July 22, 2017

Change

Today is the two year anniversary of my stepping through the doors of Vision of Hope (yes, two years). And I want to say a few things about change.

Let me just say upfront that I was never ever ever even considering staying this long when I filled out that application and decided to give this program a try. You want to know how long I had decided to give it? 9 months exactly. Not a day more! That was my plan right up until month number 8. That's when God shook my world and got a hold of my heart. He shattered my own ideas and showed me how to surrender to His plan.

You see, I wanted change to just happen quickly, like ripping off a bandaid. I didn’t want to work hard, I didn’t want to fail, and I didn’t want to persevere through a long process. I wanted everything “fixed” right away. But true change doesn’t happen that way. True change starts at the heart level. It starts with surrender. With a gentle Shepherd who calls us to take up our cross and follow Him. And it’s as simple as that. Just walking with Him and choosing to do things His way every day. When we do that, He changes us.

If you have never read Hannah Hurnard’s book, Hind’s Feet on High Places, I would suggest getting yourself a copy right now! That book gives such a helpful picture of change and growth and the daily walk on the Shepherd’s path. You see, the main character, Much Afraid, decides that she wants to change. She already knows the Shepherd, but her feet are cripple and her face is mangled because of her fearful nature. She wants to leap on the Mountains of Love with her Shepherd instead of limping with fear in the Valley of Humiliation. Her faithful Shepherd answers her desire by taking her on this incredibly long and painful journey. And the companions He gives her to help and guide her, are named Sorrow and Suffering. She walks through the Valley of Loss, the Precipice of Injury, and the Shores of Loneliness...just to name a few. She is on track with the Shepherd’s own special remedy for change. And slowly, almost imperceptibly at first, she truly changes.

It has been a long and, in many ways, painful two years. I have wanted to quit more times then I can count. I have not always been able to see what God is doing or how He is changing me, because sometimes, everything just looked like a mess to me. And I am not even now as changed as I would like to be in all areas of my life. But the good news is, my journey isn’t finished, and my faithful Shepherd isn’t done. And as long as I continue to surrender to Him day to day and walk with Him His way, He will complete the work He started in me. And when I fail and stumble, as I often do, He is right at my side ready to pick me up, teach me, and tenderly lead me.

Do you want to change? Do you know the Shepherd Christ Jesus? Are you fully surrendered to Him? These are questions to ask yourself daily as you move forward. Not everyone needs a program like Vision of Hope to help them find true change. But everyone needs to be fully surrendered to the Lord. And when we truly work hard to trust Him, He will take care of the rest.

And seriously, get that book :)! My favorite version is this audiobook.

No comments:

Post a Comment